Shabby Chic Decor
Shabby chic decor is a style that focuses on the use of distressed and rustic furniture, fabrics, and other items. This unique look is often characterised by its aged and weathered appearance; however, it can also be used to create a rustic feel in your home. The origins of this trend are unclear but many believe it started in France during the 1960s when people began renovating their homes using old materials they found in markets or antique shops. Often shabby chic decor can be seen as a sustainable way to decorate your home, as not quite perfect pieces usually disposed of are perfect for this style.
Key Elements of Shabby Chic Decor:
- Distressed Furniture - Shabby chic decor includes pieces like tables with chipped paint or chairs with worn seats. This helps give them an authentic feel as if they've been around for years! We love using reclaimed benches and pieces of wood usually disposed of to create this beautiful worn effect. Our farmhouse stool is a great example of a reclaimed wooden shabby chic inspired piece of furniture.
- Vintage Textiles - If you're looking for something soft yet elegant then shabby chic textiles could be perfect for you! Pieces of linen are a fabulous addition to your home to give you that beautifully effortless lived in touch to your home.
How to Create a Shabby Chic Inspired Home
Shabby Chic Bedroom Ideas
Shabby chic decor is all about creating that beautiful French inspired romantic atmosphere. A great way to start your shabby chic inspired bedroom is by adding rustic and distressed furniture. Whether that’s a beautiful vintage dresser or a stunning wooden headboard, they are great pieces to build your room around. Facebook marketplace and charity shops are great places to find these types of pieces, as the old saying goes one persons trash is another’s treasure. Vintage pieces allow you to give your home more character and the rustic charm perfect for this style of decor.
Shabby Chic Living Room Ideas
Shabby chic inspired living rooms are all about creating that cosy, inviting, lived in charm to your home. Create the most welcoming space that will have you dreaming about curling up on a Sunday afternoon with a good book and a cosy cup of tea or to enjoy a marathon of your favourite show on Netflix. Sofas and soft furnishing are great for adding the laying look with beautiful soft linen throws and cushions. Introduce pops of colour with greenery, flowers and beautiful quality textured vases. Our beautiful Paros pot is perfect for adding the rustic and distressed look to your home, we love filling this vase with dried touch flowers like our dusty pink Gerbras and dried foliage.
Shabby Chic Kitchen Ideas
We find the kitchen is a really easy place to add touches of shabby chic. Items like serving dishes and platters are perfect for this. Charity shops and car boot sales are a great place to stumble upon hidden treasures like these. They can create a beautiful focal point on a kitchen dresser or open shelving. Small reclaimed wooden benches or ones with a distressed painted finish, like the natural wooden bench are perfect for counter tops when creating things like a coffee station. Introducing soft lighting and candlelight is perfect for adding to the soft romantic feel of shabby chic inspired decor.
Tips for Decorating with Shabby Chic Style
- Introduce distressed furniture
- Beautiful quality layered fabrics
- Incorporate rustic accents, such vintage wooden signs and vintage ceramic.
- Mix soft colours, whether that’s with flowers or fabrics.